Many of us have big ideas about what we want to accomplish in life. Many of us even start strong in reaching toward those goals. We go to college, we draw up plans, we attend seminars, and we nail up vision boards. Some of us take it that next step: we obtain a business license, design a website, order business cards, pass out flyers, get a Facebook page, and hang out our shingle. We write that book, buy that house, start that family, get promoted on that job, cut that demo. We’re self-promoted, self-motivated, and self-determined. All’s well and good until problems arise. It’s not until then that many of us remember that in order to handle our business well, we need to pray about all of this.
The three major obstacles to the continuance of handling one’s business are suffering, sickness, and sin. The antidote to each of these issues is covered in James, chapter 5, verses 13-16.
- Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray… Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him… anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Confess your trespasses[e] to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. (Emphasis added)
Why can’t everything just run smoothly? Why is it that when we’re sailing along with our plans, things inevitably seem to go awry? That’s because it’s so easy for us to get all wrapped up in ourselves and forget about God. We’re so busy trying to handle our own business that we forget that our first business is to handle God’s business. And we won’t know what God’s business is for us unless we are in communication with Him. Prayer is how to handle our business. Prayer is how to face the suffering life will throw our way. Prayer is the medicine for any kind of sickness. And prayer brings about forgiveness of sin.
For my suffering readers: Lord God, I am so sorry for the suffering of my readers today. Manifest Yourself to them in a mighty way so that they know it’s You. Comfort their hearts. Bring them Your relief. Hug them.
For my sick readers: Lord God almighty, please bring about healing for my readers today. Send someone to them who can lay their hands on them, pray, and anoint them with oil. If there is no one close, give them the ability to lay hands on themselves, anoint themselves, and believe by faith in You for their healing. If You want to heal through medication, make that medication effective right away. Thank You for confounding the doctors.
For my readers in sin: Lord God, move my readers to confess their sins today. Bring a good Christian listener across their paths with whom they can share in confidence and with whom they can pray. Thank You for forgiving their sins and helping them to turn from them. Thank You for the testimonies of deliverance they will be able to share that will bring You glory.
NOTE: Remember to join CloserWalk2018, the virtual devotion group. See the “About” page of this blog for complete information!
©2017 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Join the movement! Closer Walk 2018(c) https://closerwalk2018.wordpress.com
- 366 Glimpses of God: Getting to Know the God Who Knows You.
- Start every day of your new year with one of these thoughtful devotional readings that will focus your attention on our amazing heavenly Father.
- Pick up copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: