Dear Closer Walkers,
How do you feel about the dawn of 2018? As with most of us, 2017 held both high and low points for me. The absolute highest point was the birth of my precious granddaughter, Jordyn Marie, on July 4th. The devastatingly lowest points were the transitions from earth to heaven of some very special people: my sister-in-law Jean, our friend Cliff, and my friend Diana’s sons, Christopher and Jonathan, among others. The past year also left many of us with memories of relationship challenges, financial worries, physical illnesses, and employment woes. Many dreams did not come true, many plans did not pan out, and many 2017 resolutions fell flat.
Now what about 2018? I’m honestly tempted to allow the perils of 2017 to cause me to be sarcastic about the positive possibilities of 2018. But then I remember something. It is God who has welcomed us to 2018. As Job said to his wife when she suggested giving up on God, “Shall we indeed accept good from God, and shall we not accept adversity” (Job 2:10)? And James 1:12 says, “Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him” (NIV).
So okay 2018, here we come, then, not knowing what you have in store, but not backing away from whatever that might be. We’re going to walk more closely with God so that we’ll be strong enough for anything these 365 days will bring. As we enjoy 366 Glimpses of God: Getting to Know the God Who Knows You, we’ll watch as God reveals Himself to us in brand new ways. We’ll rejoice and be thankful during the high moments, and we’ll grow and be comforted during the low ones. We’ll trust (as the popular gospel song says) that our good days will outweigh our bad days. And we’ll watch as our daily closer walk with God produces a sweeter disposition in each of us.
This week, if you have more time than your devotional reading allows, read the context of each devotion’s focus verse. That means for you to at least read the entire chapter in which the verse is contained. Then ask yourself these three questions for each chapter:
- What is this chapter saying?
- What does this chapter mean?
- What does this chapter mean for me?
Here are the focus verses and the extended chapters to read:
- January 1 – Psalm 149:4 – Read Psalm 149
- January 2 – Romans 8:28 – Read Romans 8
- January 3 – Read Genesis 1 – 2
- January 4 – Genesis 4:1 – Read Genesis 4
- January 5 – Genesis 6:5-8 – Read Genesis 6
- January 6 – Genesis 9:14-16 – Read Genesis 9
- January 7 – Genesis 12:1-3 – Read Genesis 12 (and/or read Psalm 25)
So again, what about 2018? Welcome 2018! We’ll walk more closely with God, deepen our relationship with Him, and give Him glory for who He is every day. Happy New Year!
%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%%%%%%%%%% %%%%%%%%%%% %%%%%%%%%% %%%%%%%%%%%%
©2018 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Join the movement! Closer Walk 2018(c) https://closerwalk2018.wordpress.com
- 366 Glimpses of God: Getting to Know the God Who Knows You.
- Start every day of your new year with one of these thoughtful devotional readings that will focus your attention on our amazing heavenly Father.
- Pick up copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: